Friday, November 13, 2009

"What are you having?"

I was at Costco yesterday and a woman behind me in line asked me, completely out of the blue, "What are you having?"
Caught off guard, since I thought I wasn't yet showing, and a how-on-earth-did-she-know blank stare on my face, I replied, "I, uh, don't know."
Stranger Lady: "Oh. You're not finding out? It seems like everyone finds out these days."
Me: "Yes, I'm finding out. In another 5-6 weeks since I"M ONLY 14 WEEKS PREGNANT!"
(I did not shout out that last phrase, but I wanted to.)

So this could mean any of the following:

a) I've had one too many McDonald's plain hamburgers/Wendy's baked potatoes/KFC mashed potatoes and gravy/Taco Bell bean burritos, all my current stand-by lunch option.
b) I'm actually having twins, maybe triplets
c) fourth pregnancies are just that bad
d) some people are extremely rude and have not had the unspoken rule
"Don't assume anyone is pregnant and don't say anything to that effect" explained to them.

What do you think?

9 comments:

The Titmi said...

Did you have your hand on your belly? That's a tell tell sign. I have you beat- someone asked me at 8 weeks

Tami said...

e. She must be psychic. f. She sensed your "glow." But she shouldn't have said anything--that's just rude.

wuxiheather said...

When Mike and I came to visit you I didn't feel like I was REALLY showing unless I tried to. I was 12 weeks I think. We were at Disneyland and no one had said anything until we were waiting in line for Tower of Terror and this guy looked at me and said, "Whoa! That's gotta be twins!" I dunno... I've also been asked when I wasn't pregnant though...so maybe those are just people with no tact.

Adam's Family said...

Kir, you should come move to St. George. Everyone and their dog is pregnant here, so the whole "ohhh what a cute pregnant lady, let me touch your belly and say rude comments" thing is practically non existant. For the most part (with the exception of the gym I go to) I have been pretty much left alone. Plus, wouldn't you love to live closer to me? :)
P.S. Just forget about costco lady, you look great kir!

Anisa said...

Congrats!!!

And yes, people are rude... don't take it personally.

Cami said...

You simply must be glowing! congrats again

Leslie said...

Thanks Kir...that made me smile. What an idiot Costco lady. But Costco being Costco, she was probably an old lady who can't really see anymore and saw your purse and thought it was your belly. Or it's just the glow! :)

Unknown said...

Kirsten - I am not sure what is worse - Having someone ask you this when you are only about 14 weeks pregnant OR when you have a 9 month old and you are NOT at all pregnant. I had a woman ask me a few months ago when I was due and I had just lost about 20 lbs and was not at all pregnant. I wanted to KILL her. People need to learn discretion. Seriously. If it makes you feel better, i don't think you even look pregnant yet.

Rachel Anderson said...

She must just be really spiritually in tune....

You should have said "I'm not pregnant." That would have shown her!