Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Prop 8 passed!

I'm sure by now you've heard that Prop 8 passed, that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California." I feel like we have reason to celebrate! We have worked so hard here in Orange County to make this happen and I feel that all of our efforts paid off, especially since it was so close. 52% to 48%! It's a victory, for now, and I'll take it.

I want to share some things for posterity, things that I learned by supporting Prop 8.

My faith in a modern-day prophet has been strengthened. It was my belief in the prophet that initially began my support of prop 8. I struggled at first to come to terms with hurting people who are gay who cannot be happy unless they marry, mostly because I know and love 3 men who are close to me who struggle with same-sex attraction. I imagine how much I am hurting others, and those I love in particular, by standing up for something I believe might hurt my children and will eventually hurt society. It was hard for me to justify simply by reasoning it out, even taking into account all the legal ramifications. It was my faith in the prophet that helped me know that this was the right thing to do.

I was strengthened by stepping out of my comfort zone. I have never been this involved in politics and I'm not really gung-ho about getting into any political discussions with anyone. Over the last months, I learned that I can do scary things like calling or knocking on a stranger's to ask them how they are voting, to wave a sign on a street corner and listen to the angry shouts of those who oppose my views, go to voters' homes to ask them to please vote. In fact, it makes me stronger!


Our country is awesome! I am so grateful to live in a country where my vote matters, where we can worship as we please, express our opinions and fight for our rights!

I am part of an amazing community. I was awed by the incredible efforts of my friends and fellow church members during this campaign. People have rallied together and have given countless hours to fight for this cause. One example: we made 9,000 phone calls on Election Day to get voters out! I felt part of something important, and because we worked together, supported one another, we found strength in each other and I believe we have grown closer as a community of saints.

Children are smart, faithful and courageous. I had to explain to my kids why we had a Prop 8 sign in our yard, a bumper sticker on our car, why we went to rallies and made calls and worst of all, why there were people who opposed Prop 8. They not only understood clearly, but accepted it immediately and had the instant desire to help out. They cried when I told them they had to be 16 to wave signs. One of them snuck out of the house to wave our yard sign at neighbors passing by while shouting, "YES on 8."

Satan is the master of deception. He works slowly and carefully to forfeit and eventually destroy what is most sacred. Marriage. Family. The divine roles of men and women. The right of children to be raised with love by the two people who created them. He is hard at work!

The Lord's purposes will be accomplished. I know that no matter the outcome, it was the Lord's will to have us stand and fight for traditional marriage and the family. No matter how hard Satan works, the Lord will win eventually. I know that!

9 comments:

naturegirl said...

Thanks for sharing! That was really uplifting and inspiring. And I couldn't agree more with everything that you said.

Pinspot said...

Well put Kir!

Leslie said...

I'm so proud of you Kir. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. You are amazing!!!

John, Sal, Maddy, and Stockton said...

I'm so proud of you Kir! We're praying for our Cali friends, we know it is hard to stand up against such strong opposition, but know your KS friends support you!!!

Mike and Shelby said...

It's been intense here, I can't imagine what it's been like for you guys in CA. Good for you for supporting it and campaigning. Glad it passed, hope it stays that way.

Missletoe said...

Go Kirbell! I respect your brave efforts! Us Massachusetts-ians (Mass-holes) could take a lesson from you!

Cami said...

We all have reason to rejoice from the efforts you and others made.
Awesome post. Thank you for sharing all this and for doing what is right!

stephanie said...

That sounds like an amazing experience. I would love to know how you explained it to people when you'd go to their houses or called them. My best friend's sister lives in S.F. and said someone who had a sign in their window in her ward had their house spray painted and someone else who was assaulted for being pro-prop 8. Did things get ugly there?

Jessica said...

You so win Best Post of the Week. With California friends, who are so conflicted and little bitter about this issue, I loved reading your positive, testimony bearing post! Thanks so much!